halloween at the ace hotel.
smilebooth rocked our worlds!
details on my DIY owl costume:
1) buy a used pillowcase from the thrift store & wash it.
mine happened to be jersey so it was nice and comfy, with a little stretch.
2) cut out a hole for the neck and two holes for the arms.
3) on cardstock or paper, draw up a template for the feathers and cut it out.
4) pick out a bunch of fabrics in whatever colors/textures suit your fancy!
i used gold metallic, yellow felt, brown wool, dark tan corduroy,
and beige, brown & orange cotton.
5) trace the template onto those fabrics about a million times.
try folding your fabric and cutting out 2 or more feathers at a time,
depending on how thick your fabric is.
6) get out your sewing machine.
starting at the bottom of your pillowcase,
line up a row of feathers in whatever pattern you like.
i staggered my rows so that each feather's point covered up a gap between the lower feathers.
pin on the row of feathers.
7) sew away!
i used gold thread & a zig zag stitch,
but you don't have to be neat -
the thread will only show on the top row of feathers.
8) i made a little headband with fabric scraps,
some stretchy brown elastic, and buttons for eyes.
add some leggings (i wore gold) and you'll be comfy all night :)
will was willie nelson.
he had a long grey braid, in case you couldn't see it.
more photos from the night HERE.
fun night with fun friends!
love love love halloween :)
i just bought a new container,
and lovingly placed my halloween decorations inside.
i will miss my little skeletons hanging from my front door.