one of my favorite recipes to make for my hubby! delicious and sooooo easy to make :)
i pulled this recipe out of a random magazine a few years ago,
and have continuously adapted it over the years.
i usually make this for dinner with brown rice and a side of edamame.
or if i'm feeling up to it i'll make fried rice.
1/2 cup peanut sauce (i like spicy thai peanut sauce)
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1 cucumber (peeled, seeded, and diced)
1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
1 head crispy iceberg or romaine lettuce
2 carrots, diced
a few tbsp of chopped peanuts
1) brown the ground beef or turkey in a skillet.
pour off any drippings.
2) peel the cucumber and carrots.
3) seed the cucumber by cutting it in half lengthwise,
and scraping out seeds with a spoon. then dice it.
4) dice the carrots into very small pieces.
5) chop up peanuts into small pieces.
6) cut the head of lettuce in half through the center,
so that the leaves will be left cut in half.
7) carefully pull off large lettuce leaf halves and separate.
8) carefully rinse and dry lettuce leaves.
9) add peanut sauce & hoisin sauce to meat in skillet and heat thoroughly.
10) add cucumber and carrots to the skillet just before serving. stir.
11) serve the beef mixture in lettuce leaves.
sprinkle each lettuce wrap with peanut crumbs.
TIP: we like to put a few spoonfuls of brown rice in the bottom of
each lettuce cup before adding the meat mixture.
other mix-in ideas:
red onions, edamame, or bean sprouts.